According to legend, in 1722 a fisherman named John Bogavčić-Tuburko, working in the area of the Cape Gradina, saw a strange light. When he approached the rock from which the light was emanating, he found a picture of Our Lady resting on it, a depiction of Mary visiting her cousin Elizabeth. He took the picture home and stored it in a trunk, but it mysteriously returned to the same place on the rock.
This repeated three times. Soon the villagers and their priest decided to build a chapel on the site, and a ceremony that continues today was established in 1776.